Friday, May 10, 2019

Spreadsheet for Teachers


The changing times and the development are profoundly enhancing the lives of teachers, particularly for the teaching and learning. I have observed that ICT is immensely assisting today’s teachers and the workload has become easy in various ways contrasting to the teachers of a decade ago. During my pre-primary and middle school times, I have seen the teachers requesting the students to help for the compilation of results and the marks, which it must have been one of the hardships as.

By now, the spreadsheet enables the teachers to prepare results within a short period of time. A Teacher just needs to insert the formula to grade the position, pass or fail, etc. It has really been an effective tool. Had there been no such facilities, I am sure that the staff room would be piled up the papers that contribute to the trash. Staff room would be as a room of trash particularly during the period of preparing the result. Calculating the marks could be the frequent mistake of the teacher prepares the result using the papers, but the ICT (Spreadsheet) minimize the waste. ICT plays a crucial role not only for the easiness, comfortable, teaching and learning but I have observed that ICT helps in minimizing the waste.


When I was first introduced to the means of using the spreadsheet for the mark sheet or result preparation, I thought ‘Uff! It is hard’. And I really had a terrible time memorizing the formulas. Actually, I was not accustomed to the concept, ideas, and skills to manipulate and use the spreadsheet. Instantly, I tried to memorize the formula without the basic concepts and skills. I now realize that of I have been tried to understand the concept and skills first, it would have been easier for me to be able to use a spreadsheet.

Albeit of the understanding on benefits of ICT (spreadsheet) and after learning during the first semester, I was still not able to implement it during my teaching practice. By then I had to give my extra time to learn it from the beginning. Gingerly, I commenced punching the marks and prepared the mark sheet. I could do it, and I felt it was really comfortable and certainly an effective tool. I absolutely accede that ICT is making our life much easier, comfortable and convenient,

3 comments:

  1. Hello Chimi, The way you reflect on the usage and helpfulness of spread sheet for teacher was very impressive. After going through your reflection i came to know that you have got great ideas on usage of spreadsheet in the field like preparing result for student and all.I too found that you have reflected on advantages of using spreadsheet like saving time, make work easier and many more. Awesome reflection Chimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have got great experience and ideas on using spreadsheet. so, from your reflection i understood that its very useful especially to the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Expressive and impressive reflection where you have share all your thoughts and learning experience with comprehensible language.I am sure your writing piece will give better image on learning spread sheet to other readers. worth reading!

    ReplyDelete